The photographs primarily document the building and usage of the tugboat 'Thunder River'. This boat was built by John J Lengyel, Chester Lengyel, Roy Erickson, and Mike (surname unknown), most likely between 1945 and 1947. The tugboat was 57 feet long, had a 12-foot beam, and twin 160 horsepower engines. It was involved in towing barges across Great Slave Lake. It was also involved in moving infrastructure from the former Canol Project south sometime between 1947 and 1949. This most likely occurred along the Mackenzie River between Norman Wells and Hay River in the summer of 1949. In 1950, the ‘Thunder River’ was listed for sale from Hay River.
A handful of photographs document John J Lengyel's daughter Joan in a toboggan behind a dog team.Lengyel, John